Technical Sales by Hub
Technical Selling Under Stormy Conditions
As a technical sales professional you can’t control uncertainty, but you can control how you respond to it. I recently had the great pleasure of talking with an amazing technical sales leader who oversees hundreds of technical sales professionals at a mid-cap company. While discussing the profession, economic uncertainty, and new Covid environment, it became clear that we are all selling under stormy conditions. Drawing parallels to sailing, we observed that to win business while fighting gale-force winds, you have to be fit, ready and aware. Let’s dig into these attributes in more detail. Be fit: Master your craft To be fit as a technical sales professional, you need a very particular set of attributes:
- Technical intelligence: You must know the capabilities that your solutions, products and features provide to your buyer so that they can, in turn, satisfy your buyer’s requirements.
- Sales wisdom:You must be know how to clearly articulate what you do, why it matters, who it matters to and coney how you do it in a way that establishes value with your buyer above all other vendors.
- Tool and process proficiency:You must know how to utilize your tools and processes effectively to serve your buyer faster and better than your competitor.
- Be disciplined: You must have clear objectives for yourself, with specific time parameters, so you can track and measure your performance and then hold yourself accountable.
- Have a plan: You must have clear ways to obtain incremental performance gains with your technical intelligence, sales wisdom, and tool and process proficiency.
- Know your team: You must know who to go to, such as subject matter experts, who can give you the support quickly when you need it to win.
- The buyer profile: Understand the company dynamics you are engaged with, the industry they are in, and the macroeconomic headwinds they may be encountering so you can maneuver effectively.
- Your champion: Be sure to understand what your advocate needs to be successful and how you can help that individual meet or exceed their own success criteria within their company.
- Your competition: Most technical sales opportunities face fierce competition, so you must anticipate the technical traps they will set for you. At the same time, you must set traps for them to win.